Do you think food only contributes to your physical health and appearance? What you put in your body has an immense effect on your mental health as well. As we give our body a healthy and nutritionally balanced diet, it produces hormones that balance our physical as well as mental well-being. Mental care is one of the most important aspects of life, especially in these testing times.
When going through testing times, it is equally essential to feed your mental needs as your physical wellness. You can be physically healthy but you are psychologically impacted by depression situations and challenging times.
The best way to balance your life in such a situation is to provide your body with healthy foods that soothe your mind and body to keep you happy and healthy.
Let us take a look into the 5 best food items that are mentally healthy.
It has been established through various researches that people who are more inclined towards highly processed and packages food, and sugary food items are more likely to develop anxiety or depression. Here is what you can eat to balance your emotions.
- Oily fish- Fish like salmon, prawn, and trout are rich in healthy fish oil which is known as Omega3 fatty acid. This fatty acid contains DHA which helps us develop our memory and boosts mental health. This the little secret that goes behind fish being the healthy food that supports our emotional needs and also helps us control anxiety and depression.
- Fermented foods- When we talk about fermented food, we can only imagine yogurt. But there are awesome fermented foods such as yogurt, kombucha, and kimchi which works as an antidepressant in our body. You will be amazed to know that the good bacteria present in fermented food influences our mood and emotions and thus help to keep a mental balance and wellness.
- The berry family- Berries are loaded with antioxidants and help us fight free-radicals by generating new cells. The good effect of berries on our skin is mostly known to us, but did you know that berries such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries also work as an antidepressant and can help you energize your mood and emotions.
- Whole gains- Have you ever thought that when you are following a strict diet and have shredded all the carbs from your diet, why do you suddenly feel low? This is all because of the feel-good hormone which is present in whole grains as they are loaded with carbohydrates. So consuming a balanced diet which includes curbs can help you regain happiness.
- Green leafy vegetables- Research shows that those served with a portion of green leafy vegetables 6 times a week, especially, spinach, kale, etc. are more likely to be in good mental health than others. Therefore, you have one more reason to add greens to your platter.
Along with including such amazing foods that will help you to work towards your mental wellness, it is also essential to cut down sugary food intake. This will slowly improve your overall health.