COVID19, or Coronavirus Disease 2019, is a disease caused by an infection with SARS-CoV2 and is currently responsible for the pandemic that has sent the world on a lockdown for months.
Once you contract the deadly Coronavirus, it takes from 2 to 14 days for just the symptoms to appear. The average incubation period seems to be roughly 5 to 6 days.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), coronavirus symptoms are usually mild and come on gradually. The Lancet says that typically seven days onwards, hospital admission becomes necessary.
Symptoms Of COVID-19
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has stated that a person suffering from COVID-19 is likely to experience a wide range of symptoms. The most common and popularly known symptoms are dry cough and shortness of breath, but they may also be a combination of at least two of the following symptoms:
- Fever- According to Doctors, a body temperature above 100.4°F or higher is considered to be a fever. Usually, a person with a fever would feel hot when touched on their back or chest.
- Dry Cough- A dry cough is when the cough does not produce any mucus. If a person is found to be coughing more often for over an hour, or they come across three or more than three coughing episodes during a day, they probably contracted Coronavirus.
- Sore Throat
- Headache- General headache for a prolonged time, coupled with a few other symptoms could mean you are suffering from the virus.
- Chills or Repeated shaking with chills
- Fatigue- If you find yourself suffering from a feeling of tiredness or an overall lack of energy, or drained, weak, or even sluggish, you might be suffering from Coronavirus.
- Shortness of Breath- This symptom is a subjective feeling. However, those who have experienced shortness of breath would probably describe it as feeling as if you are unable to catch your breath, or getting suffocated.
- Muscle Pain
- Loss of Taste
- Loss of Smell
According to a few pieces of research, the prevalence of some of these symptoms appear to be as follows:
|Loss of smell and Taste||64.4|
|Shortness of breath or difficulty in breathing||41.1|
The truth is, scientists are still learning about this disease that spawned out of the blue. The unpredictability of this virus and some of its characteristics similar to common cold and cough, make it difficult to determine the total number of cases. The critical difference is that Coronavirus is more deadly than the common flu, and the cough is dry.
What should you do about these symptoms?
If you are suffering from any of the symptoms, no matter how mild they may be, it is advised that you take the following measures:
- Self isolate yourself immediately and stay indoors unless going out to seek medical attention.
- Drink plenty of liquids and stay hydrated
- Take rest and avoid tiring yourself
- Take cold and flu symptoms to calm the symptoms
- Do not forget to wear your mask whenever around others, wash hands regularly and avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Follow the local health department guidelines
- Clean and disinfect surfaces to prevent communicating the disease to someone else.
COVID-19 is a deadly disease that is terrorising the whole wide world and can be stopped only with the collective efforts of everyone. It is advised that you build your immunity and have regular check-ins with your general physician.
Stay Home. Stay Safe.