Essential Vaccinations That You Must Take Before Travelling

Travelling is a genuinely cathartic experience that inspires one to push their boundaries and explore the world beyond the four walls they confine themselves to. This dream experience can turn into a sour memory if the right precautions are not taken before embarking on the journey you’ll remember forever. Prevention is always better than cure; hence it is always advised to receive essential vaccinations before travelling. Here’s a list of a few essential vaccinations that you must take before travelling!

  1. Tetanus Vaccine

Tetanus is a well-known toxin which spreads through pores and can be easily contracted by the said pores entering a wound you may encounter in your travels. It has an incubation period of roughly 3-21 days, and during this time initially, your muscles begin to turn rigid, eventually leading to paralysis. In case you cut yourself or get bitten by an animal, it is highly recommended that you get a tetanus shot to prevent yourself from contracting it.

  1. Polio Vaccine

Polio is a disease that is primarily contracted through contaminated food or water. It usually has an incubation period of 7 to 14 days and is well known for attacking 90% of the cases without any prior symptoms. 8% of patients end up experiencing mild-flu-like symptoms, and the remaining encounter paralysis, impaired swallowing, breathing, and speech, and also bladder dysfunction. In such situations, it would be best for you to use the best immunity boosting steps

Fortunately, these days Polio has become a very rare sighting due to the polio vaccine. If you wish to have a safe travelling experience, a polio vaccine is a must!

  1. Diphtheria Vaccine

Diphtheria is a highly contagious respiratory disease that is usually contracted from inhaling water vapour transmitted by infected people when they sneeze, cough, or breathe around you. It has an incubation period of merely 2.5 days and is fatal enough to kill you. To prevent contracting this deadly disease, it is vital you get vaccinated for the same before travelling.

  1. Hepatitis A and B Vaccines

Hepatitis A is a liver infection commonly contracted through contaminated food and water, or person-to-person. It has an incubation period of roughly 3 to 6 weeks, and more than 90% of the infected people don’t show any symptoms for the same. The remaining 10% usually encounter joint and muscle pain, fever, upset stomach, and diarrhoea, among other symptoms, followed by jaundice and itching, and can also result in liver failure or death. Travellers that visit from comparatively more hygienic countries are prone to get infected as they haven’t developed immunity from pre-exposure. This is why a Hepatitis A vaccine is a must.

Hepatitis B is contracted from one person to another through bodily fluids like blood or contact with blood, infected medical equipment, and sexual transmission. Its symptoms are similar to that of Hepatitis A, and in some cases, it can lead to permanent liver damage and liver cancer. You are most likely to get infected by this disease while visiting a developing country. Hence, it is advised that you get the vaccination before travelling. 

  1. Typhoid Vaccine

Typhoid is a disease which is usually transmitted through contaminated food or drink. Its symptoms include headache, fever, abdominal pain, confusion, rashes, and also constipation. In case you are planning to visit a tropical site, it is highly advised that you get the vaccination beforehand.

Other than these vaccines, it is safer to get a shot of the Rabies Vaccine, Tick-Borne Encephalitis Vaccine, Yellow Virus Vaccine, and Japanese B Encephalitis Vaccine. 

So if you’re planning a trip in the future, take the necessary vaccines according to the exposure that you might be experiencing.